In the May 2017 edition of the Market Update:
- Equity markets rose in April helped by political developments in Europe and solid US corporate earnings reports.
- In the United States, the technology-laden NASDAQ Composite Index rose to all-time highs, boosted by strong earnings results from the major technology companies.
- US consumer and business sentiment surveys fell back from the recent highs reached following Donald Trump’s election win.
- Chinese economic growth in the March quarter was stronger than expected and other activity indicators were also higher than in prior months.
- Australian economic data was relatively good with stronger-than-expected employment growth in March and a rise in inflation.
There’s more commentary, plus our usual tables with all the key market data on Shares, Interest Rates and Property in the linked document below.